Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dancing in the Bird's Nest

Big day for Kristen, her medical exam at the International Medical Clinic, and picture for the Embassy (VISA). 16.5 pounds! I think 1 of those pounds was gained this past week! She is doing so well, interacting, babbling, sitting bit more stable, and wanting to walk more with support. She showed off what she could to the Doctor, but as often with orphans, is still quite motor delayed for her age. At the rate she's going, I think she'll catch up no problem.



International Medical Clinic



In the waiting room




















Some play time with Kaya in the van, while dropping off documents at the Embassy


Aidan stayed behind with Susie and Magnus at the hotel for some "reading" and swimming, then joined us for lunch at a local restaurant (yum yum eggplant dish, and sweet and sour pork), where Kristen loved the steamed bean curd! Up to now, she really hasn't shown much interest in table foods, just her formula and toddler snacks. So I was pleased to see her not spitting the food out.

Then it was off to the Beijing 2008 Olympic site! It was a hot day, again not humid, but with it being sunny, we searched for shade often. The "H2O water cube" was my favorite, very impressive, and with clips of the events being played on the huge screen inside, we felt how amazing it must be to attend (and if talented enough, participate!) these events. Such adrenaline filled air! Birds nest is one of the most beautiful architectural designed structures I've seen. Inside we walked right down to the field, where Kristen danced away with Aidan and Magnus. They were too cute. I have so many pictures, seriously I wish I could post them right now, but they will have to be an "addendum" once I'm home.

I do have to say, I am truly impressed by the architecture I've seen. In the van and taxi rides, I've been snapping pictures, of great buildings. I know I haven't seen the true local Beijing culture yet, that will come with the Hutong tour if we have time on Thursday. Overall, there's more organization on the streets too. Wider roads, massive plantings of shrubs and flowers between lanes, a designated bicycle lane separated by a low fence/islands of shrubs, and what we've seen of the major streets, very clean!

Phew! I think I've caught up for now. I am itching to shop, but Great Wall tomorrow, then shopping day!

Kristen has been doing awesome with all this sighseeing, we just have to take our breaks. Thanks again to Karen for posting the last few for me!


Dancing


No comments:

Post a Comment